Thursday, November 14, 2013

Let Me Tell You About My Nephew Noah McCullough


Lots of people have nice nephews so please don’t take this the wrong way, but my nephew Noah could beat your nephew in basketball, blindfolded. One night he, his father – my brother - and I were playing basketball on an outdoor court in Nicholasville, Kentucky, one of those with the double ring rims that do not give at all, and just after dark; we did not want to quit so we were still there and Noah decided to shoot free throws and he hit nine out of 10 in the dark. I’d like to see your nephew do that.

Also, my nephew Noah – that sounds better than just calling him Noah- is now several inches taller than his father – my brother – Earl, making him a little taller than me. In fact, the last time I saw him he was growing rapidly and we have not talked for a few weeks, so he may be well over six feet tall by now, making him – I suspect – virtually impossible to guard.

I have not seen him play many games, but I saw him win the MVP of an all-star game in Somerset, Kentucky this past year. After only a couple of minutes into the game, he had three, three pointers – at which point the opposing coach decided they needed to guard him a little more closely. In the two games that day, he hit something like 11 three pointers out of 17 tries and, as I said, walked away with the MVP trophy, his team winning by large margins in both games and he serving as the steady, calming influence as point guard against players who were, at that point, mostly taller and considerably heavier than him.

We knew Noah was going to be a good basketball player several years ago when he started telling us he was going to someday play in the NBA – I mean, how cool is confidence, right? I helped send him to a summer camp in Chapel Hill, NC about six years ago, where he met Kenny the-jet Smith and got to learn from several sharp instructors. We sent him to that camp because since he was a wee lad he has liked North Carolina, for some reason.

Kentucky won the championship the spring of the year he was born and then won it again two years later, but of course, he was too young to be aware of those teams, so by the time he became a fan of college basketball, North Carolina was the best team, so I suppose that is why he adopted them as his favorite.

When he was about 10 years old, I saw him play organized basketball for the first time and although he was one of the smallest players on the floor, he was a deft ball handler and he hit a back over the head layup that any NBA guard would be proud of – without even stopping to admire it or show off, returning to defensive stance immediately - always a good sign.

As you can tell, I know how it feels to take pride in a nephew, so I don’t blame you for thinking your nephew is terrific and I am sure in his own way, he might well be. But my nephew Noah is handsome – look his picture up on facebook if you don’t believe me, has a charming personality – ask anyone in my family or that he goes to school with, if you don’t believe me; and not only that, he is a soul winner.

By the time I was eleven years old I had won six people to the lord. Noah may not have done it that early, but he has kept it up and I am sure he has passed me by now, since I quit winning souls and started living like someone who needs his soul won, in my late teens and early twenties. I kid him that he will end up like Chris “Birdman” Anderson of the NBA, with all that body art on his neck and face, but so far he is walking the straight and narrow and seems destined to be like his father and grandfather, a man close to his Biblical upbringing.

So, if your nephew is under six feet tall, cannot hit ninety percent of his free throws in the dark, has never won MVP of an all-star game, is not the best player in his high school basketball league, and is not a Bible believing soul winner, do me a favor, when your nephew’s birthday comes around, call him up and tell him you love him and that you are proud of him, because if he knows my nephew Noah, his self-esteem may be suffering from the comparison.

But if your nephew compares well to my nephew Noah – with the looks, charming personality and humility – which I don’t think I mentioned before, but yes, on top of everything else he is unassuming and humble in his attitude; then you should be proud of your nephew and have him contact my nephew Noah. Maybe they could hang out and learn from another how to be even more awesome.

I am sorry if I have turned this into a competitive birthday wish for my nephew Noah, but then, nephews only turn seventeen once, are only seniors in high school once and are only the pride of the family for a little while until some other young person comes along and takes center stage in holiday conversations.

The last thing I want to say about my nephew Noah is that he loves his grandmother – my mother with great passion, cried like a baby when his grandfather - my dad, died on mother’s day in 2006, is almost as devoted to his father – my brother Earl as he is to his heavenly father, and perhaps most importantly, in almost every way, he reminds me of myself when I was his age.

Happy Birthday, Noah.


No comments:

Post a Comment